- Serves as Chairman to the Tampa Bay Pilot LLC and Secretary to the Florida State Pilot Association
- Founded and was president of Tampa Bay VIPS, the company responsible for developing the original concept of a carry-on pilot navigation system, which served as the model for other ports worldwide.
- Served as an Adjunct Professor of ship handling aboard New York Maritime’s training ship
- Was president and chairman of the Port of Tampa Propeller Club and as a member of the International Propeller Club’s Executive Committee.
- Founded and was Skipper of the Boy Scouts of America Explorer Ship 555 and involved as an Assistant Scout Leader for Troop 22.
- Past board member and the current Sail Master of Ye Mystic Krewe of Gasparilla, and each year he guides the pirate ship Jose Gasparilla during the Invasion.
Thursday, January 23, 2014on
During the recent Leadership Tampa Alumni annual meeting, LTA recognized Capt. John C. Timmel, President & CEO of Starboard Ten Maritime Forensics, with the prestigious Parke Wright III Award. Tampa’s history has strong ties to the Maritime industry, and Captain Timmel’s accomplishments and credentials in this area have had a significant impact on our community. Among his notable recognitions and contributions, he: