LTA Volunteer Opportunity - Habitat for Humanity Build
The location of the build site will be sent out at least 1 week in advance to the build date
Every family deserves the opportunity to build a better life. We need your help to make this happen by volunteering for our Habitat for Humanity day.
DATE: September 17th, 2022
TIME FRAME: 7:30am - 2:30pm with a break for lunch at around 11:30/12pm
ATTIRE: Acceptable attire includes a t-shirt, shorts or jeans, and sneakers. Please make sure to wear clothing you don't mind getting dirty, possibly torn or stained. NO flip-flops, Tomas, FootGlove, Crocs, or any open toed/back shoes allowed on the construction or home preservation site or at the Habitat ReStore.
LUNCH WILL BE PROVIDED & WATER: BRING WATER!!! It is very hot outside and due to covid-19 we cannot provide large water jugs or ice. We will have back up water bottles onsite but please prepare to bring LOTS OF BACK UP and perhaps a snack just in case. Lunch will be provided and delivered onsite.
LOCATION: The location of the build site will be sent out at least 1 week in advance to the build date. This is due to site availability and any last minute changes due to weather or construction scheduling
WAIVERS: When you are 1 week away from your scheduled volunteer day, You will be emailed a reminder email with date, time, location**, waiver and other confirmation details to help prepare your volunteers.
- Our construction site opportunity runs from 7:30am - 2:30pm with breaks for water and a lunch break at around 11:30am/12pm.
- Lunches and water are not provided, teams and individuals should plan accordingly to bring PLENTY of extra water, snacks, and their lunch for the day. Team may coordinate lunch together to be delivered or picked up
- Through the next couple of months, we will be building in the Temple Terrace area. Locations are chosen depending on volunteer need, site supervisor availability, and construction scheduling.
- No construction experience is required, all tools, helmets, and other protective gear is provided!
Possible Construction Site Projects:
- Interior/Exterior Painting and Priming
- Trusses/Framing (Building the frame or putting the roof on the home
- Window/door installation
- Insulating the garage of the home
- Installing Cabinets, countertops, interior shelving
- Interior trim
LOCATION: The build location will be determined 1-2 weeks prior to your build day. You will be notified of the location via email. We ask all volunteer groups to be open to traveling to your assigned build site location since we build all over Hillsborough County. We are currently building in the University and Tampa Bay areas, all sites are typically less than 20 minutes away from Downtown Tampa and because of the nature of our build sites, locations are determined based on volunteer need. This means that we determine your location as early as 1 week prior to your scheduled date due to changing need.
Physical Limitations: Some groups express concern for volunteers who are older or more physically limited. Habitat Hillsborough likes to welcome as many interested volunteers as we can. There will be a number of projects to do during a build day that engages an array of physically abled volunteers and all can make an impact on site in different ways. Whether this is organizing tools, helping to pass out waters, or assisting others, we will have plenty to do!
Not Sure what a Volunteer day out on site would look like? Take a look at this video! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkofLNge8HI
TIME: The construction build day is 7:30 AM - 2:30 PM. A sample build day schedule is below.
7:30 AM: Check-In
7:45 AM: Safety Speech
8:00 AM: The workday begins
9:30 AM: Water Break/ HabiChat
11:30 AM: Lunch will be provided (30-45 minutes)
2:00 PM: Start Clean Up
2:30 PM: The workday ends